DJ Root Recycling Center
The DJ Root Recycling Center is a vocational rehabilitation program preparing individuals for future employment in competitive community settings. The program provides a valuable service to our community in addition to job opportunities for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and persons with mental illness. We prepare people for future employment in competitive community settings.
Every service we offer is free.
We can come to your home or business and pick up any recycling products we accept, free of charge,
You can also bring any recycling products we accept to our facility an someone will be there to help you unload them.
- Document chain of custody ensures that all documents are safe from the time of pickup until they are shredded or destroyed
- All documents are picked up in secure locked totes
- Documents are taken to the DJ Root Recycling Center shredding department in agency vehicles and stored in a locked area with a video surveillance camera
Paper Recycling Service
- Office paper or cardboard that does not need to be shredded is accepted or picked up
- You can drop off newspapers at our Newspaper Recycling Trailer located at VG's Food Center parking lot at 1341 North M-52 in Owosso
Drop Off Hours
Monday - Friday
8:30 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
West End of Building
- Paperback and Hard Cover Books
- Greeting Cards
- File Folders
- Phone Books
- White Copy Paper
- Colored Paper
- CPO-Green Bar and laser
- Old Text Books
- Adding Tape
- Secure and Non-Secure Shredding
- Paper Bags
- Pre-shredded Paper
We Do Not Accept:
- Carbon Paper/Forms
DJ Root Recycling Brochure
DJ Root Recycling Frequently Asked Questions
For information to get your recycling started today
Call Recycling Line 989.723.0843
We are located near the Hugh Parker soccer fields in Owosso. The address is 1555 IndustrialDrive. If you come from McMillian we are the first drive on your left.
- Approximately 60% of our rubbish thrown away today could be recycled
- 9 our of 10 people surveyed said they would recycle more if it was easier
- Each person created about 4.7 pounds of waste every single day
- It takes more than 500,000 trees to produce the newspapers Americans read each Sunday, yet only 30% of all newspapers are recycled
Our team at the DJ Root Recycling Center has been recycling around the county for the past 10 years. In the beginning, we were picking up a few papers here and there, we could handle some cardboard. We came up with the idea of creating our own recycling facility and on-the-job training for our consumers.
We started our recycling program in October of 2009, offering paper shredding services, cardboard and paper pick-up and the assurance that business materials are kept secure. Since then we have helped nearly 200 businesses and families become green! With the generous support of the community we have been able to recycle over 869,600 lbs. which equals out to 7,395 trees!
Meet Our Employees
What do our employees enjoy about working in the Recycling Program? We asked and this is what they said!
"We are putting back what we take from this earth." --Damien
"I like the job very much. I enjoy showing tours, show everyday operation, help people, like friends very much, they are friendly, polite, and generous." --Bob
"I like working hard, I get good listening and job skills. Good place to work at. Makes it possible to have my own apartment." --Don
"I enjoy working in the warehouse, I learn new skills and learn about why we recycle. I enjoy being a part of the team and making money." --Mike
- Time Management
- Hand-Eye Coordination